College and Technical School Art Programs
Are you interested in studying art at the college or technical school level? Below is a list of institutions and links to their web sites that may help you in your decision making process.
Updated by B. Walker September 26, 2009
Winona State University
• The Department of Art offers the Bachelor of Arts degree with options in Studio Art or Graphic Design and the Bachelor of Science degree in art Education for K-12 teachers. The art program provides training that may lead to various careers in the applied areas of the visual arts. It also prepares students who wish to pursue graduate study in the fine arts, art history and museum or gallery fields.
Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota
• The Art and Design department provides majors with a strong foundation of skills, techniques, multiple aesthetic approaches, and the ability to think and write critically. The department offers two majors: one in Art Studio for the training of student artists in the processes of the fine arts, and a second in Graphic Design for students who wish to pursue a career in visual design and communications.
The University of Minnesota Twin Cities Campus -- Minneapolis MN
• "The U" is a public accredited four year college offering both BA and BFA degrees in art. The Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree program in art is designed to provide the student with thorough training in studio techniques and theory as well as a sound background in the history and criticism of art. The BFA is a highly selective degree program intended for students who plan to either pursue a professional career in art or prepare for specialized graduate study. Information on either of these degrees can be accessed by selecting the following link.
• The University of Minnesota also offers degrees in Art Education. If you are interested in teaching art select the link below.
The University of Minnesota Duluth Campus -- Duluth MN
• A public accredited four year college, the UMD School of Fine Arts offers both BA and BFA degrees. The Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) degree programs are offered in studio arts with programs in Photography, General Studio, Painting, Drawing, Printmaking, Sculpture and Ceramics. BA degrees are also offered in these programs as well as in Art history, Art education, and Graphic Design. Students may also minor in the following visual arts areas: Art, Art History, Arts in Media, and Photography. Information any of these degrees and programs can be accessed by selecting the following link.
Bemidji State University – Bemidji MN
• The Visual Arts Department at BSU offers BA and BFA degrees in Art with studio emphasis in the areas of Ceramics, Drawing, Jewelry Metals, Painting, Printmaking or Sculpture. BS degrees are available in Art and Teacher Licensure and Design Technology. In Addition students may also choose to minor in Art or Art History within the department. To find out more visit the following link.
Mankato State University -- Mankato MN
• Mankato State University is a public, accredited four-year school. The art department offers both BFA and BA degrees in art. The department also offers minors in Art Studio and Art History. A comprehensive program is provided in Art History and Art Education courses are provided for students seeking teaching licensure.
Moorhead State University -- Moorhead MN
• MSUM is a public, accredited four-year school. The Department of Art and Design offers both BFA and BA degree. For either degree students may select an emphasis in the following studio areas: Art, Ceramics, Drawing, Graphic Design, Painting, Photography, Printmaking or Sculpture. A BA Degree is also offered in Art History. Students may also choose to minor in Art or Art History. For those desiring a teaching license the Department of Art and Design also offers a BS Degree in Art Education. To learn more about Moorhead visit the following site.
Saint Cloud State University -- Saint Cloud MN
• St. Cloud State University is a public, accredited four-year college. The Art department offers BA degrees in Art and Art History. The BFA degree in Studio Art offers an emphasis in either ceramics, drawing , graphic design, painting, photography, printmaking or sculpture. For those interested in teaching a BS in Art Education is also an option.
The Minneapolis College of Art and Design -- MCAD -- Minneapolis MN
• The Minneapolis College of Art and Design is a private, accredited four-year art and design college. MCAD offers majors in Advertising, Animation, Comic Art, Drawing, Film Making, Fine Arts Studio, Graphic Design, Furniture Design, Illustration, Painting, Photography, Print Paper Book, Sculpture and Web and Multimedia.
The College of Visual Arts -- CVA -- St. Paul MN
• The College of Visual Arts is a private, accredited, four-year art and design college. CVA offers Bachelor of Fine Arts degrees in Graphic Design, Illustration, Photography, Drawing/Painting, Sculpture, and Interdisciplinary Art & Design studies with concentrations in Fashion Design at Parsons Paris, Museum Gallery Studies, Teaching Artist, Advertising, Printmaking, Interdisciplinary Fine Arts, or Visual Communications.
University of Wisconsin -- Madison Campus -- Madison, WI
• Within the Art Department degree offerings include: B.S., B.F.A., M.A., & M.F.A. in Studio Art, B.S., M.A., & Ph. D. in Art education.
The University of Wisconsin Stout -- UW Stout -- Menomonie WI
UW Stout is a public, accredited, four-year college.
• The Department of Art and Design offers Bachelor of Fine Arts Degrees in Studio Art, Graphic Design, Industrial Design, Interior Design, and Multimedia Design.
• UW Stout also offers a B.S. degree in Apparel Design and Development. If you are interested in Fashion Design click on the following link.
• UW Stout additionally offers a B.S. degree in Art Education. If you are interested in teaching art click on the following link.
The University of Wisconsin LaCrosse -- LaCrosse, WI
• UW LaCrosse is a public four year accredited college offering Art Majors and Minors in the following studio and emphasis areas: Art History, Art Education, Metals, Ceramics, Computer Graphics, Painting, Photography, Printmaking, and Sculpture To find out more select the link below.
The Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design -- MIAD -- Milwaukee WI
• MIAD is an accredited private college providing Bachelor of Fine Arts degrees in the fields of Communication Design, Drawing, Illustration, Industrial Design, Integrated Fine Arts Studio, Interior Architecture + Design, Painting, Photography, Printmaking, Sculpture and Time-Based Media. They prepare students with interest and ability in the visual arts for passage into professional careers. To find out more check out the following site:
Western Technical College -- LaCrosse WI
• Western Technical College offers a two year Associates Degree in Graphic Design. Graphic designers combine artistic ability with technical knowledge to create designs used in print and electronic media. This program is computer intensive. Strong computer skills are recommended. Select the link below to find out more.
Viterbo University -- LaCrosse WI
• Viterbo is a four year accredited private college. Their Art Department offers both BFA and BA degrees in Studio Art, a Bachelor of Art Education Degree and a variety of degrees in Graphic Arts and Digital Media. To find out more visit:
Iowa State University -- Ames, Iowa
• The College of Design offers undergraduate majors in Architecture, a BA in Art and Design, a BS in Community and Regional Planning, a BLA in Landscape Architecture, and BFA degrees in; Graphic Design, Integrated Studio Arts, and Interior Design. The College of Design also partners with the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences to offer a major (BA) in Biological and Pre-Medical Illustration. Select the following links to find out more.
The University of Iowa - Iowa City, Iowa
• The University of Iowa offers degrees and programs in : Art Education, Art History, Ceramics, Design, Intermedia, Jewelry/Metal Arts, Drawing & Painting, Photography, Printmaking and Sculpture. To find out more look into the following link.